Know Your Doctor
Dr. Baiju Senadhipan
MS (General Surgery), DNB (General Surgery), MCh (Surgical Gastroenterology)
Dr.Senadhipan is the Senior Consultant & Head of the Department of GI, HPB, Bariatric & Transplant Services of B.R.Life SUT Pattom Hospital at Trivandrum, Kerala, India. He is a Visiting Consultant at Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences,Thiruvananthapuram, and International Modern Hospital,Dubai.He is the only Consultant in GI Surgery who has got the license to practise in Dubai. He is the erstwhile Professor, Dept of Surgery, in Travancore Medical College, Kerala.
Dr Senadhipan is an eminent leader of Keyhole Surgery, which is also known as laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery. He is an international expert in Cancer Keyhole Surgery for gastrointestinal cancers such as that of the food pipe, stomach, liver, pancreas, bile duct, small and large intestines and in rectum. He has successfully performed more than 2000 complex gastrointestinal cancer surgeries laparoscopically placing him amongst the most experienced in the world
Dr Senadhipan has significantly contributed to the advancement of keyhole surgery in India through pioneering the technique since late 1990s and through extensive teaching of peers and junior surgeons.
Dr Senadhipan was the first Indian Surgeon to perform Laparoscopic Coloplasty for Benign Oesophageal Stricture. He is also the first Indian to perform Laparoscopic Re-Do Hepato Jejunostomy for HJ Stricture. He is one of the few surgeons in India to perform complex Laparoscopic procedures like Whipple’s Resection, Liver resections, Colorectal Surgeries and Metabolic surgeries like Diverted Ileal Interposition. Dr Baiju has so far performed more than 1500 laparoscopic colorectal surgeries and more than 40 Laparoscopic Whipples procedures with good results. He routinely performs other Complex Open and Lap surgeries as well as Endoscopic surgeries like ERCP and Endoscopic Ultrasound. Through early adoption, continuous learning and teaching, he has significantly contributed to the advancement of laparoscopy in India to transform surgical care to patients with GI Cancers, Benign GI Diseases, and Morbid Obesity.
Dr Senadhipan is an international educator. His prominent international teaching assignments include Visiting Professor, Asia Pacific Advanced Course in Laparoscopic Colorectal and Transanal Surgery, IRCAD Taiwan, October 2016, 21st International Workshop, Asia Endosurgery Task force, Fuji, Japan 2014, 3rd Biennial meeting Euro Asian Colo rectal Technologies Association at Singapore 2013 and in CME on Advanced Laparoscopic GI surgery, Srilanka Society of Gastroenterology, National Hospital of Srilanka in March 2014.
Dr Senadhipan trains hundreds of surgeons in India every year. He has taught at more than 60 national congresses and 35 local meetings more often as operating faculty in the recent years. He has also organized congresses to benefit skill development of local surgeons in Kerala such as Annual Conference of Association of Surgical Gastroenterologists of Kerala at Trivandrum in March 2015 being he most recent in this series. The Association of Surgical Gastroenterologists of Kerala is the brain child of Dr.Baiju Senadhipan and he was its founder secretary.Dr Baiju was also an examiner at AMASI Skill Course and FMAS Examination,AMASI, Kovalam, 2015
Dr Senadhipan has published and presented papers internationally. Two of his recent coauthored papers are “Laparoscopic Liver resection:Wedge resection to living donor hepatectomy;are we heading in the right direction?” in World J gastroenterol Oct 2014;20(37):13369-13381and “Imaging of peritoneal ligament in endoscopic ultrasound” Euro EUS Meeting 2014,Vol 3;issue 5:pp 16-17..
Dr Senadhipan won Best Video Presentation Award: (Laparascopic Whipple’s) at IHPBA INDIA 2014, and Best Paper Award at Dubai at Annual Conference of Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India, 2014, to name a few.
Dr Senadhipan has been honoured with Karmaratna Award in 2018 by Media City Channel,Asianet Excellence award in 2018 by Asianet channel,EM Sankaran Memorial award by EMS Samskarika Samithi in 2017,K.R.Narayanan National Founder Award in 2015 and International Malayali Achievement Award ,Malayali Association,Singapore 2012 for his immense contribution to patients and society. He has been twice recognised by Rotary International for Vocational Excellence Award
Dr Senadhipan is trained in Robotic Surgery in Korea 2012, Lap Donor Hepatectomy training in Korea 2015, Training in Radio Frequency Ablation of liver tumors in Taiwan 2008, Training in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, Korea 2006. Lap Bariatrics training in Pune 2006 to name a few key programs.
Dr Senadhipan partners with industry as a medical and education expert. He is a faculty with Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic, Merril and Cipla in educating Doctors about new technologies and therapies.
Dr Senadhipan dedicates considerable amount of his time towards charity. His charitable initiative called Snehardram provides free cancer care to underprivileged patients. He is striving to train all government surgeons in Kerala in this procedure. He believes this will make it possible to perform gastrointestinal surgeries in a timely manner and thus reduce in the possibilities of the disease worsening and the patient losing his life. Dr Senadhipan’s vision is to make keyhole surgery accessible to all.
Dr Senadhipan is the Founder Secretary, Association of Surgical Gastroenterologists of Kerala, Secretary, Gut club, Kollam and Secretary,Surgeons Club,Kollam
- Training in Laparoscopic Surgery V.G.Institute, Coimbatore, Sep 2001
- Training in Stapler Haemorrhoidectomy Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education, Mumbai, July 2002
- Fellowship in Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery Gangaram Hospital, NewDelhi, Jan 2004
- Training in Complex Stapler Anastomoses Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education, New Delhi, Jan 2004
- Training in Laparoscopic Solid Organ Surgery Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education, Mumbai, Oct 2004
- Training in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery DongGuk University Hospital, Seoul, Korea, Jan 2006
- Training in Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery Dr.Shashank Shah, Laparo-Obeso Centre, Pune, Jun 2006
- Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery (FMAS) Awarded by AMASI, Jul 2007
- Training in RadioFrequency Ablation of liver tumors Chag Gung Memorial Hospital,Taiwan, Aug 2008
- Training in ERCP Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad, India,
- Training in Robotic Surgery Samsung Hospital, Seoul, Korea, Aug 2012
- Training in Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) Jaswant Rai Specialty Hospital, Meerut, April 2013
1986-1992 Govt.Medical College Alleppey
May1998-April2001 Govt.Medical College Calicut
General Surgery June 2002
Surgical Gastroenterology Nov 2001-Nov 2004
- One of the few surgeons in India doing complex Laparoscopic procedures like Whipples Resection ,Liver resections, Colorectal Surgeries and other cancer surgeries
- First Surgeon in India to perform Laparoscopic Coloplasty for Benign Oesophageal Stricture
- One of the few surgeons in India to perform Laparoscopic Metabolic surgeries like Diverted Ileal Interposition
- One of the few surgeons in India routinely performing Complex Open and Lap surgeries as well as Endoscopic surgeries like ERCP
- Performed more than 500 laparoscopic colorectal surgeries and more than 25 Laparoscopic whipples procedures so far with good results
- Laparoscopic Choecystectomy for A/c Cholecystitis.Does timingmatter? Indian Journal of Surgery ,Aug 2013,Vol 75,Issue 4,pp 268-270
- Laparoscopic Liver resection:Wedge resection to living donor hepatectomy;are we heading in the right direction? World J gastroenterol Oct 2014;20(37):13369-13381
- Imaging of peritoneal ligament in endoscopic ultrasound Euro EUS Meeting 2014,Vol 3;issue 5:pp 16-17